Known historically as the “Broadway of the Northern Neck”, Kilmarnock is the commercial hub of the region with a combination of owner run boutique shops to big box stores.
Steptoe’s District is a pedestrian friendly, walkable downtown with wide sidewalks and small independent merchants. The northern portion of Main Street is the location for chain retailers.
Kilmarnock also has an industrial park just off Harris Drive that is home to several mid-sized light manufacturing businesses. There is additional acreage for development with access to water and sewer utilities.
Ask about how to start your business here!
The Virginia Enterprise Zone Program, administered by the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD), assists with business development and expansion in specially targeted areas throughout the state called Enterprise Zones.
Land parcels within Kilmarnock’s boundaries are designated part of the Northern Neck Enterprise Zone and are eligible for economic advantages. See the map of the Enterprise Zone for specific parcels. Contact the Town at 804-435-1552 x 3 for more information about a specific parcel. For more information on the Northern Neck Enterprise Zone go to www.northernneck.us
Virginia Enterprise Zone State Incentives are available to businesses and zone investors who create jobs and invest in real property within the boundaries of enterprise zones.
Qualification for the Job Creation Grant (JCG) is based on permanent full-time job creation over a four job threshold, wage rates of at least 175 percent of the Federal minimum wage (150 percent in HUAs*), and the availability of health benefits. Personal service, retail, food, and beverage positions are not eligible to receive job creation grants. **As of 2010, firms located in High Unemployment Areas (HUAs) may qualify for the JCG at the reduced wage rate threshold of $10.88 (150 percent of the Federal minimum wage). A list of HUAs is provided below in the Helpful Links section of this page.
Eligibility for the Real Property Investment Grant (RPIG) is based on qualified investments made to commercial, industrial, and mixed-use buildings or facilities located within the boundaries of an enterprise zone. To be eligible for the RPIG, an individual or entity must invest at least $100,000 for rehabilitation or expansion projects and at least $500,000 for new construction projects.
For more information about state incentive eligibility criteria and grant awards please reference the Virginia Enterprise Zone Grant Matrix.
1. Business License fee reductions for new or existing businesses
2. Water and Sewer Rate reductions for new or existing businesses
3. Water and Sewer connection fee reductions for new or existing businesses
New or existing businesses must provide two (2) new full-time equivalent jobs or invest $250,000 in real property.
Must not be one of the following business types:
1. Sexually Oriented Businesses (Town of Kilmarnock Code 14.165-176)
2. Pawn Shops
3. Small Business Loan Offices
Economic Development & Tourism Coordinator Opening
Kilmarnock VA (pop. 1200) is located in Lancaster County on Virginia’s northern most peninsula along the Chesapeake Bay, the “Northern Neck”. Kilmarnock is the commercial hub of the region and the largest incorporated town in Lancaster County. Kilmarnock is Eastern Virginia’s Best Main Street as selected by the readers of Virginia Living Magazine. The Town serves a much larger population of nearly 40,000 from our surrounding communities. Whether you’re shopping, strolling our charming downtown, grabbing a meal or enjoying Town Centre Park, Kilmarnock is the place to enjoy small town charm, friendly merchants and a warm welcome!
The position assists with professional and administrative responsibilities related to promoting business growth and economic development within the Town. In addition, the position assists in tourism development and support for the Visit Kilmarnock VA and Virginia’s River Realm brands including marketing, public relations and visitor support with our travel Ambassadors.
This is an excellent opportunity for a candidate early in their career and seeking broad economic development, tourism and general government experience. The successful candidate must have excellent communication skills and the ability to multi-task in a fast paced, multi-faceted work environment. Reporting to the Town Manager, the position works closely with the Town’s Planning and Zoning and Community Development functions and may do collaborative work with these functions.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Providing support and resources to new and existing businesses, including small business owners and entrepreneurs, and balancing divergent needs;
- Collaboration with state and local agencies, chambers of commerce on business, tourism and related issues;
- Creating and ensuring that Kilmarnock’s economic development goals and strategic initiatives are achieved;
- Developing close, productive working relationships with the business community to attract and retain business and, developing private, public and academic sector partnerships at all levels as needed;
- Developing and implementing marketing programs for business attraction and retention strategies.
- Promoting the Town of Kilmarnock as a prime business location and encouraging the expansion and retention of existing businesses.
- Enhancing Kilmarnock’s economic sustainability through efforts that advance innovation, competitiveness and resiliency
- Developing and implementing marketing approaches for both the Town of Kilmarnock and for Virginia’s River Realm brands to grow the region’s tourism base.
- May be assigned projects in support of other Town initiatives.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate has some experience in local government and understands multiple aspects of municipal work. Experience with “Main Street” programming is a plus. The candidate will utilize considerable initiative and independent judgment in developing marketing strategies and associated materials and exercise professionalism, courtesy and tact in frequent contact with business representatives, government liaisons and the general public.
Education and Experience
Applicant requirements include any combination of experience and education equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in business administration, marketing, public administration, economics, planning, engineering, tourism or related field, with professional experience in economic development, marketing or planning related activities, preferably in local, state or regional government.
SALARY: $ DOQ/DOE (+) benefits. Typical work hours are 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday with some weekend and evening hours required. The Town of Kilmarnock offers medical\dental\vision\life insurance\Virginia Retirement System\vacation benefits.
Apply Online Now