First settled in the mid 1600s, Kilmarnock was originally known as “The Crossroads”.
Kilmarnock probably had its beginnings at the intersection of Indian paths which later became the locations of Routes 3 (Main Street) and 200 (East Church Street & Irvington Road).
It was in the early 1700’s that William Steptoe began to operate a storehouse and ordinary at the crossroads so that the crossroads came to be called “Steptoe’s Ordinary”. In 1764, Robert Gilmour, an agent for a mercantile firm based in Glasgow, Scotland, is thought to have been involved in giving the name of “Kilmarnock” to the crossroads location using the name of Kilmarnock, Scotland, where he apparently also owned land. The earliest known record referenced to “Kilmarnock, Virginia,” can be found in a deed recorded in 1778. It was incorporated as the “Town of Kilmarnock” by an act of the General Assembly in 1930. Click for a timeline of significant milestones in Kilmarnocks history. Click here to see the changes in the Towns boundaries since 1930.