Make Kilmarnock Your Business’s Home
Kilmarnock has traditionally been the commercial center of the lower Northern Neck and starting a business in Kilmarnock requires only a few steps.
Start by talking with Sharon Phillips, our Economic Development Coordinator! She’ll help you get routed to the correct departments and let you know how we can help you be successful.
Building permits and land disturbing permits are issued at the county level. A Kilmarnock zoning permit must be issued prior to receiving a building permit or applying for a business license. Your business will be featured in our directory as well.
Business licenses are required within the Kilmarnock town limits. Whether you are based in Kilmarnock or are a contractor doing work within our town limits.
The Business, Professional and Occupational License Tax is due on May 1 of each year. The tax is based on the gross receipts for the preceding year from any business, profession or trade and includes fees, commissions, brokerage charges, discounts, sales and services. A penalty of 10 % will become due after May 1 for failure to pay the license tax. Beginning July 1 of each year, 8% interest will be added monthly for delinquent license taxes.
For Meals and Lodging Tax forms, click here.
How to Get Started
Here are the simple steps in order to open a business in Kilmarnock:
- 1. Give Sharon a call! Her contact information is below.
- 2. Apply for a Kilmarnock zoning permit.
- 3. Apply for a Kilmarnock Business license-an approved zoning permit is required for this step but may be done simultaneously.
- 4. Apply for a utilities account for your location (if applicable).
- 5. Apply for a sign permit (if applicable).
- 6. Upon receipt and paid fees for the above, contact Lancaster or Northumberland County’s Building Office for the following permits: Building, Electrical. Plumbing, HVAC, Land Disturbance, Demolition