Make Kilmarnock Your Business’s Home
Kilmarnock has traditionally been the commercial center of the lower Northern Neck and starting a business in Kilmarnock requires only a few steps. Building permits and land disturbing permits are issued at the county level. A Kilmarnock zoning permit must be issued prior to receiving a building permit or applying for a business license.Your business will be featured in our directory as well.
Business licenses are required within the Kilmarnock town limits. Whether you are based in Kilmarnock or are a contractor doing work within our town limits.
The Business, Professional and Occupational License Tax is due on May 1 of each year. The tax is based on the gross receipts for the preceding year from any business, profession or trade and includes fees, commissions, brokerage charges, discounts, sales and services. A penalty of 10 % will become due after May 1 for failure to pay the license tax. Beginning July 1 of each year, 8% interest will be added monthly for delinquent license taxes.
For Meals and Lodging Tax forms, click here.
How to Get Started
Here are the simple steps in order to open a business in Kilmarnock:
- 1. Apply for a Kilmarnock zoning permit.
- 2. Apply for a Kilmarnock Business license-an approved zoning permit is required for this step but may be done simultaneously.
- 3. Apply for a utilities account for your location (if applicable).
- 4. Apply for a sign permit (if applicable).
- 5. Upon receipt and paid fees for the above, contact Lancaster or Northumberland County’s Building Office for the following permits: Building, Electrical. Plumbing, HVAC, Land Disturbance, Demolition