March 25, 2020
Town of Kilmarnock Special Called Meeting – March 25, 2020
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic a special meeting was called on March 25, 2020 by Mayor Mae P. Umphlett and Town Council. Resolutions were passed to help mitigate the negative effects caused by COVID-19.
These actions include a temporary utility rate and policy changes to water and sewer services provided by the Town of Kilmarnock. The temporary rates and policy changes are as follows:
Cents Per Gallon
|Residential (In Town)||
|Residential (Out of Town)||
|Commercial (In Town)||
|Commercial (Out of Town)||
For the April and May 2020 billings, THERE WILL BE NO MINIMUM CHARGE. All gallons will be charged at a flat rate by account type. The next billings on April 15th and May 15th, 2020 will reflect these new rates.
- There will be no “turn offs” during these 2 billing cycles.
- During this time, any account that wishes to be turned off will have their “turn on” fee waived.
- Late fees will be discontinued on any new balances during this temporary rate structure. Any existing fees will remain on the account.
- For new accounts during this time, deposits can be split over 2 months
- Irrigation accounts are not eligible for this temporary relief.
- This temporary rate change will last through the billing cycles of April and May, 2020 or shorter if the State of Emergency is lifted sooner. If the SOE is still in effect at the end of this time, Town Council will review.
Town Hall is now closed to the public until further notice. However, during this time, Town Hall remains open during normal hours of operation. The Mayor remains authorized to determine when Town Hall will reopen to the public.
When does this relief begin?
The flat rate goes into effect for the April and May, 2020 billing cycle.
If I use less than the typical minimum amount, what is my total bill?
All accounts will be charged the temporary rates. Example for 4,000 gallons consumed:
- Residential (In Town): 4,000 gallons x (0.013) rate = $52.00
- Residential (Out of Town) 4,000 gallons x (0.020) rate = $80.00
- Commercial (In Town) 4,000 gallons x (0.027) rate = $108.00
- Commercial (Out of Town) 4,000 gallons x (040) rate = $160.00
Does my rate vary depending on how much water I use?
No. Whether you use 500 gallons or 5,000 gallons the rate per gallon remains the same.
Does this apply to irrigation accounts?
No. Irrigation accounts are not eligible for this temporary utility rate.
When can I expect to see the relief?
The temporary relief will last for the April and May, 2020 billing cycles. Residents and businesses can expect to see the new rate on their next bill.
I believe there is an error on my bill. What do I do?
If you believe there is billing error, please contact Town Hall at (804) 435-1552. Town Hall is still open during normal business hours Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:00pm.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: