Lancaster Community Library
- 235 School Street
- Kilmarnock, VA 22482
- (804) 435-1729
Library Director: Lindsey Gardner
Our mission is to provide access to a wide variety of quality literary and informational materials and services which enhance the cultural, intellectual and practical pursuits of the community. Special emphasis is placed on stimulating children’s interest in reading and learning.
Lancaster Community Library marked its 45th year of service to the community in October 2006. Established in 1961 with the financial and material support of private citizens in the Northern Neck, the Library has undergone many changes over the years.
From the small white cottage on School Street to a new building in 1975 with subsequent expansions and the addition of the Storymobile, the Library continues to support new technology and the demands of growing patronage. A major technology upgrade in September 2000 and computers donated by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation provided online access to the Library’s collection and greatly expanded Internet access for Library patrons.
The Library, governed by a board of directors elected by the membership, is managed by a full-time library director who oversees a staff of six and a corps of more than 70 volunteers. It is the combined efforts of these individuals that contribute to the success of the Library.
While the Lancaster Community Library of today bears little physical similarity to the original cottage, it still remains the “heart of the community.” It is still about meetings the needs of the community, about the people who use it, and about those who continue to support it through volunteerism and financial contributions.