Kilmarnock’s Economic Development
The town’s goal for economic development is to promote growth of the town and at the same time to preserve and improve the quality of life for all citizens.
Kilmarnock is strategically located to provide retail and professional services to a five county market serving residents and visitors many of whom drive here from nearby metropolitan areas. Tourism, farming, forestry and retirement living are major contributors to the local economy.
Thinking of starting a business here?
Take a look at our New Business Welcome Guide, designed to answer many of your questions about Kilmarnock, the counties that Kilmarnock resides in and several of the forms you may need to begin a commercial enterprise.
- Lancaster or Northumberland County Community Profile (select specific county from menu)
- Lancaster by the Bay Chamber of Commerce Visitor & Business Guide
- Lodging Tax: Registration
- Lodging Tax: Remittance
- Meals Tax: Registration
- Meals Tax: Remittance
- Schedule of Fees
- Sign Permit
- Steptoe’s District Guidelines (under construction)
- Water Service applications (utilities account &or application for new connection)
- Water Rates (in town)
- Water Rates (out-of-town locations)
- Zoning Permit application
The New Business Welcome Packets are also available by mail (a $5.00 shipping and handling fee applies & must be pre-paid). Please contact the office at 804-435-1552 to order.
Land parcels within Kilmarnock’s boundaries are designated part of the Northern Neck Enterprise Zone and are eligible for economic advantages. See the map of the Enterprise Zone for specific parcels. Contact the Town at 804-435-1552 for more information about a specific parcel. For more information on the Northern Neck Enterprise Zone go to: www.northernneck.us